Minutes after starting the late shift at the in Great Neck Tuesday, Kumar Nealivelea realized he had a problem on his hands.
The quick-thinking employee said after being alerted to flames coming from an awning over the pumps, he shut off the main power, called 911 and reached for a garden hose.
"At 7:50 someone was coming inside and said, there's a fire!" said Nealivelea to Patch, regarding the incident at 208 Middle Neck Rd.
Manhasset-Lakeville firefighters at the scene decribed the cause of the fire as electrical.
"I brought the water and was pumping there," said Nealivelea, pointing to the spot where the fire occurred behind a letter "S" on the awning.
Traffic was briefly disrupted at the intersection of Middle Neck Road and Nortern Boulevard at about 8 p.m. as numerous Nassau police and fire vehicles surrounded the station.
The fire was put out within minutes by emergency responders.
No injuries were reported.